Like us on Facebook!
Look at audition excerpts
Interested in a Flute Performance Degree?
Some thoughts for prospective freshmen:
Before you decide, see if you can play:
Scales 3 octaves up to D – chromatics, thirds in every key, whole tone scales
Taffanel-Gaubert #1,4, 5, 6, 12 memorized
- Have you looked at the following?
Bach 24 Studies
Andersen etudes, Berbiguier etudes
Major French conservatoire pieces (Faure, Enesco, Ganne, Gaubert, Taffanel)
Poulenc, Hindemith Sonatas – learn some of those if you haven’t already.
- Once you get here, we start with Rose, Berbiguier, Altes, Bitsch, then Karg-Elert Caprices and beyond.
- Please look at the UM list of excerpts and start learning them and memorizing them in that order. Don’t be overwhelmed. Think of it as a journey and only go as far as you feel comfortable.
Best of luck in your audition!
Go Blue Flutes!
Where can you hear some of our Blue Flutes?
This year our students are attending the 2015 Festivals of Brevard, Aspen, Bang On A Can, Orford, Miami, and Anatomy of Sound among others.
Where can you hear some of our Blue Flutes alumni?
- Kelly Zimba (BM 2013) Principal Flute, Toronto Symphony Orchestra
- Daniel Velasco, (Specialist 2013) Assistant Professor of Flute, University of Akron
- Dr. Erika Boysen, (DMA 2015) Assistant Professor of Flute, University of North Carolina, Greensboro
- Dr. Brian Dunbar, (MM 2012) Faculty, Southern University, Baton Rouge, LA
- Rachel Blumenthal (BM 2010) Principal Flute, Battle Creek Symphony; Second Flute, Des Moins Symphony
- Maria Castillo, (BM 2004) Second Flute, Lake Charles Symphony, LA
- Akilah Bryant (MM 2012) Instructor of Flute, University of Montevallo (AL)
- Dr. Sarah Frisof (DMA 2009) Assistant Professor of Flute, University of Kansas.
- Elise Shope (BM 2009) 2nd Flute, Los Angeles Philharmonic
- Marie (Mimi) Tachouet (BM 2006) Principal Flute, Chicago Lyric Opera
- Dr. Seth Morris (DMA 2012) Principal Flute, Houston Grand Opera (TX)
- Ben Smolen (Specialist 2011) Principal Flute, Pacific Symphony (CA)
- Kelly Sulick (BM2004) Asst. Professor of Flute University of VA and Principal Flute Charlottesville Symphony
- Mira Magrill (MM 2010) Principal Flute, YMF Debut Orchestra, Los Angeles, CA
- Eddaliss Fejoo (MM 2009) Extra, Orquesta Sinfonica de Puerto Rico
- Alaina Bercilla (MM 2007) 2nd Flute, Spokane Symphony (WA)
- Nicole Esposito (MM 2003), Associate Professor of Flute, University of Iowa
- Frieda Chan (MM 2003) piccoloist, Coeur D’Alene Symphony and Washington Idaho Symphony.
- Barbi Risken (BM 2001) Baroque Flutist and Fife Instrumentalist in The United States Army Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps